Friday, December 28, 2012

Testing and trying

I have spent the last few weeks trying to have vegan or semi-vegan meals.  I haven't gone for a full day "officially".  I may have, but it would be unintentional.  So far, I'm liking most of what I've tried, and to be honest, I'm finding the naturally vegan foods rather than those with vegan replacements the most enjoyable.

I've also taken to watching more documentaries about food, health, and animal farming.  I don't know if this will keep me more motivated, or if anything, keep me motivated while I go through the next year.  I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", and I found the personal stories pretty encouraging.  It made me wonder what is the quickest way to get healthy, in mind, body, and spirit.  Is health about balance, forgiveness, or something completely undiscussed? 

Another adventure to note is the result of my Christmas morning breakfast.  I made vegan lemon lavender pancakes, and they were the best pancakes we had ever had.  Somehow in the midst of talking, we are deciding to attempt to start a gourmet vegan pancake mix business.  As of right now, I'm experimenting with recipes: traditional to the exotic.  So, maybe a new business is the way to achieve a healthier, freer life.  I suppose we shall see what happens.

Finally, 2013 begins in less than a week.  I need to decide what metrics I need to use as a measurements.  One is easy...weight.  I need to lose about 80 pounds.  What an awful number! Of course, you cannot change what you do not acknowledge.  Second, should I add up how many yoga sessions I should do over the course of the year, and then substract those?  It would give me the freedom if some weeks are easier than others to get on the map.  Third, should I include a life satisfaction score?  If so, how could I use this number to make a healthier, happier life?  Could this score really be used, not as an evaluation of my life, but as an evaluation of whether I'm accurately seeing the good things in my life, and how to pursue the things that give me the most joy?

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."
Leo Tolstoy

No comments: