Wednesday, December 12, 2012

There is no humane way...

Yesterday, I was talking with Daddy (yes, Southern women call their fathers "daddy"), about the treatment of animals that were raised for food. I come from a long line of hunters and fisherman, so I was somewhat reluctant to bring up the topic. 

I had watched this documentary called "Vegucated", and it broke my heart about how these animals were treated.  In it, the process of raising chickens for eggs or meat, cows for meat or dairy products, and pigs was shown.  I was horrified.  I knew that the animals were killed, that goes without saying, but I was shocked at the way life was just thrown away.

When I mentioned that hunting in a manner that the animal would be killed instantly was more humane, Daddy said, "There is no humane way to kill an animal.  People just pay someone else to do their dirty work."  Needless to say, I underestimated the compassion of my father.

So, I'm feeling a bit better that I'd have some support if I make this change. At least I won't have everyone that matters to me thinking I'm a nut.

Now, I'm just wondering how difficult it's going to be to find vegan products.  I just found out my favorite shampoo has eggs...and I'd have to find new makeup.  Well, I'm giving myself a couple of months to get it figured out.

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men."


St. Francis of Assisi (1182 - 1226)



No comments: