Saturday, January 05, 2013

First Day!

Today was my first day of living intentionally vegan.  I don't believe I've eaten meat since New Year's, but I know I've eaten things that have contained milk or honey...not sure about eggs. 

I started my day heading to yoga class in Bremerton.  I enjoyed this class a bit more than my earlier ones.  I'm not sure why it didn't feel as difficult. Perhaps, I felt like I could just try, and I was able to enjoy some of the movements rather than feeling like I'm trying to bend in ways that hurt. Once it was over, I was able to chat with people, and started to feel like part of the group.  That was kind of nice.

Afterwards, I went downstairs and grabbed a blueberry lemon vegan muffin.  I've realize I liked vegan baked goods.  I'm not sure why, but they seem fluffier. I also grabbed a vegan coconut chocolate biscotti and a vegan gingerbread cookie.  A little bit of guilty pleasure...

I also took down my Christmas tree.  I certainly had a mess to clean up.  I think next time, I may wait an extra week before buying a tree.  This one seemed a bit more dead than I would have hoped the first weekend after New Year's.  It was a beautiful tree though.  Somehow taking down the tree seemed a bit cathartic, as though the newness of the year can be symbolized it cleaning the area.  Soon it will be time to plant a garden, and Spring will be here.

I also chatted with my aunt about our business.  I think the reality of all the procedural steps to start a business are becoming more evident.  That's okay.  I'd rather move slowly and deliberately.  I suppose it's my cautious nature.  I am having a bit of fun thinking of things like promotional t-shirts and looking for things like vegetarian expos. 

I wonder what exploring a plant based diet will lead me to...so far, I've tried kale, persimmons, cherimoyas, and dates.  I think a small goal is to try all the weird things you see in a produce section.  Why not explore things that I'd ordinarily avoid? What if I find things that are truly wonderful?

So, now I'm sitting on the couch watching Law and Order: Criminal Intent....I should get up and try another pancake recipe, or a chore or two, it just seems so late when the sun is down so early. 

No change in weight (I don't think)...I know the idea is maybe to lose a pound a week, but maybe I'm just a bit puffy.  I can't get my ring off, not weird, but still makes it difficult to always know when I've lost real weight.

All of us every single year, we're a different person. I don't think we are the same person all our lives.
Stephen Spielberg

No comments: